Bioenergy Institute for Educators (BIE)
Institute dates: June 26-30, 2017
Application deadline: Applications accepted through May 1, 2017. Details below.
Bioenergy is an exciting area of research and development and can provide excellent opportunities for engaging students. Join us for an intensive 5-day program to learn about the latest developments in bioenergy research and hands-on materials to use with students. Participating educators explore core areas of GLBRC research, get hands-on experience with our education materials, and delve into the development of inquiry-based classroom activities.
Institute Learning Goals:
- Explain what is bioenergy (i.e. how is it distinguished from other forms of energy and what are some examples?) and its role in meeting human energy needs.
- Apply systems and scale thinking approach to evaluate the sustainability of bioenergy production systems, esp. related to climate change, biodiversity, social and economic dimensions.
- Trace matter and energy through the production and use of gasoline, corn and cellulosic ethanol.4.
- Apply current best teaching practices (esp. learning through "inquiry" and effective assessments) to help students achieve (1-3).
What to expect:
- Hands-on experience with high-quality instructional materials for teaching bioenergy concepts, i.e. fermentation, carbon cycle, combustion, photosynthesis, sustainability
- Time for reflection on effective teaching approaches with fellow educators
- Support for the incorporation of education materials and instructional tools in your teaching
- Tours of numerous energy laboratories and field sites, and discussions with researchers
- Sharing and reflection on teaching activities in following school year through online forum
- Participants receive $400 stipend and take-home classroom materials upon successful completion of program
- Participants expected to cover food, lodging and travel costs. Affordable housing options available on campus for $17/night
- Optional college credit available through UW-Madison for $483
How to apply:
- Teams of 2-4 educators (teachers, curriculum coordinators, etc) are encouraged, but not required.
- Applications will be accepted through May 1, 2017
- Complete online application form here.
For more information:
- For more information on what to expect, see the 2016 Bioenergy Institute program schedule.
- Read this story about the 2014 program: Building Better Teachers at the Bioenergy Institute for Educators.
- Check out photo highlights from the 2016 program and the 2015 Institute.
- Please direct any questions to Leith Nye by email or phone (608) 263-0809.