Bioenergy Institute for Educators (BIE)
**Now accepting applications! Applications reviewed and accepted on rolling basis through Spring 2014**
Institute dates: June 16-21, 2014
Application deadline: Now accepting applications! Applications reviewed and accepted on rolling basis through Spring 2014. Apply online.
Overview: Bioenergy is an exciting area of research and development and can provide excellent opportunities for engaging students. Join us for an intensive 6-day program to learn about the latest developments in bioenergy research and hands-on materials to use with students. Participating educators cover core areas of GLBRC research, get hands-on experience with our education materials, and delve into the development of inquiry-based classroom activities. Participants are expected to use materials from the Institute during the following school year. Graduate credit is available through UW-Madison.
Join us and enjoy:
• Dynamic interactions with scientists and education researchers
• Tours of numerous bioenergy laboratories and field sites
• Active engagement with materials for teaching bioenergy concepts
• Time for reflection and collaboration with colleagues
• Support for the adaptation of education materials
• Bioenergy: research and development, use and applications
• Evaluating the sustainability of bioenergy
• Carbon cycle and energy flow in the context of bioenergy
• Nature of science as related to bioenergy research
2014 Institute Details (June 16-21):
• $500 stipend for each participant and take home classroom materials
• Teams of 3-4 educators (teachers, curriculum coordinators, etc) are encouraged.
• Participants are expected to use classroom materials from the Institute during the 2014-2015 school year.
• Program designed primarily for grade 6-12 educators. Others welcome to apply.
Please direct any questions to Leith Nye at email@example.com or (608) 263-0809.