Bioenergy Institute for Educators (BIE)
Institute dates: June 22-26, 2015
Application deadline: Accepting applications through May 1, 2015. Apply online here.
Overview: Bioenergy is an exciting area of research and development and can provide excellent opportunities for engaging students. Join us for an intensive 5-day program to learn about the latest developments in bioenergy research and hands-on materials to use with students. Participating educators cover core areas of GLBRC research, get hands-on experience with our education materials, and delve into the development of inquiry-based classroom activities. Participants are expected to use materials from the Institute during the following school year. Graduate credit is available through UW-Madison.
Join us and enjoy:
- Dynamic interactions with scientists, teachers and education researchers
- Tours of numerous bioenergy laboratories and field sites
- Active engagement with NGSS-aligned materials for teaching bioenergy concepts in standard science classes
- Time for reflection and collaboration with colleagues
- Support for the adaptation of education materials for your classes
- Bioenergy and biofuels: current science and engineering challenges and opportunities
- Evaluating the sustainability of biofuel production and use
- Carbon cycle and energy flow: biofuels vs. fossil fuels
- Effective approaches to teaching biofuels concepts (fermentation, photosynthesis, combustion, respiration, sustainability, etc)
2015 Institute Details (June 22-26):
- $500 stipend for each participant and take-home classroom materials
- Teams of 2-4 educators (teachers, curriculum coordinators, etc) are encouraged, but not required.
- Participants are expected to use classroom materials from the Institute during the 2015-2016 school year.
- Program designed primarily for grade 6-12 educators. Others welcome to apply.
- Participants expected to cover most food, lodging and travel costs. Institute provides lunch and parking permits. Affordable campus housing options available ($17/night).
- Graduate or undergraduate credit is available upon request. Standard tuition and fees apply.
- Applications will be accepted through May 1, 2015. Apply online here.
For more information:
- For more information on what to expect, see 2014 Bioenergy Institute program schedule.
- Read this story about 2014 program: Building Better Teachers at the Bioenergy Institute for Educators
- Read a recap of the 2014 Institute on our event blog. Also check out photo highlights from the 2014 program and the 2013 Institute.
- Please direct any questions to Leith Nye by email or call (608) 263-0809.